2 cans No salt added diced tomatoes (add your own herbs and spices)
1 Large Eggplant
2 tbsp water
2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/8 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 - 2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup part-skim mozzarella shredded cheese
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Open cans of tomato sauce, lightly rinse and drain.
2. Cut eggplants into 1/4 inch slices. Mix egg and water in shallow bowl.
3. Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in shallow bowl.
4. Dip eggplant into egg mixture, then coat w/ bread crumb mixture.
5. On a non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat pan w/ 1/2 tbsp oil. Cook eggplant slices for about 5 minutes, turning once, until light brown. Repeat with the rest of the slices (adding 1/2 tbsp oil if needed).
6. Place half of eggplant in ungreased rectangular baking dish (11 x 7 x 1 1/2") overlapping slices slightly. Spoon half of tomato sauce over eggplant and sprinkle w/ 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Repeat with remaining eggplant, sauce and cheese.
7. Bake (uncovered) for 25 min. or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is lightly brown.
Here is my tofu, white bean, baby tomato, zucchini, garlic mixture that I cooked on a non-stick pan w/ 1 tsp olive oil...it went perfectly, alongside steamed broccoli, with the eggplant.