If you eat healthy most of the time, you don't have to worry about the rest of the time.

Apple Cinnamon Granola

Please forgive me. I am about to give you the yummiest granola recipe I have ever created. For those who haven't made my granola recipes in the past, my granola is not "crunchy" like your typical "boxed/bagged" granola. It is warm, soft and oh-so-comforting in the belly.
After riding a FAST 20 miles on my road bike with the Open Road Group and Karel, followed be 35 miles (tempo) with just Karel, my aching muscles, the 40-degree temps, and a casual 1-mile Campy run were three perfect reasons to enjoy a little homemade granola with a big glass of skim milk, on Saturday Morning after my ride. Enjoy!

Homemade Apple Cinnamon Granola
2 cups oats
1 cup cheerios (off-brand is fine)
Handful of chopped walnuts
2 tbsp flax seeds (ground)
2 tbsp butter
1 heaping tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup applesauce
3 tbsp honey
2 small red apples, chopped (Wal-mart has a big bags of them on sale)

1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line a medium-sized cookie sheet with tinfoil.
2. Combine applesauce, butter and honey and spices in a bowl. Microwave for 30 sec and stir to combine.
3. Mix all other ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in applesauce mixture.
4. Toss well and spread on cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 25-30 min (if you can wait that long) or until oats begin to brown. Give a stir every 10-12 min.



No comments:

Post a Comment